ASTM International (formerly known as the American Society for Testing and Materials) develops and publishes a wide range of standards for physical and mechanical testing of various materials, products, and systems. These standards provide guidance and procedures for conducting tests to assess the physical or mechanical properties of materials. Here are some examples of ASTM physical and mechanical testing standards:
1. ASTM D638: Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics: This standard provides guidelines for testing the tensile properties, such as ultimate tensile strength, elongation, and modulus of elasticity, of plastic materials.
2. ASTM D790: Standard Test Methods for Flexural Properties of Unreinforced and Reinforced Plastics and Electrical Insulating Materials: This standard outlines the procedures for determining the flexural properties, including flexural strength and modulus of elasticity, of plastics and electrical insulating materials.
3. ASTM E18: Standard Test Methods for Rockwell Hardness of Metallic Materials: This standard specifies the test procedures for determining the Rockwell hardness of metallic materials. The Rockwell hardness test measures the depth of penetration of an indenter under a specific load, providing an indication of a material's hardness.
4. ASTM E10: Standard Test Method for Brinell Hardness of Metallic Materials: This standard describes the procedures for determining the Brinell hardness of metallic materials. The Brinell hardness test involves indenting a hard ball or carbide ball into the material surface and measuring the diameter of the indentation.
5. ASTM E1922: Standard Test Method for Transmittance and Color by Spectrophotometry Using Hemispherical Geometry: This standard provides guidelines for measuring the transmittance and color of materials using spectrophotometry. It is often used for quality control and color matching of transparent materials like plastics and glass.
6. ASTM E2009: Standard Test Methods for Bend Testing of Metallic Flat Materials for Spring Applications: This standard specifies the procedures for testing the bend properties of metallic flat materials commonly used in spring applications. It includes methods for determining the bendability, bend radius, and angle of bend of the materials.
These are just a few selected examples of the numerous physical and mechanical testing standards developed by ASTM International. These standards are widely used across various industries to ensure quality control, material selection, and performance assessment based on specific testing requirements.